I miss the wild asparagus growing along the roadsides in Colorado. What a treat it was in the spring to stop and pick it fresh and tender. Here in Texas I have to rely on the grocer. It was on sale last week and I couldn't resist.
My mom used to serve asparagus that came in a can. I hated it, and my parents were hard pressed to get me to eat it. I will be forever grateful to the mom of a friend who introduced me to fresh asparagus when I was invited to dinner one day.
I finished off our last bit of our fresh asparagus from the store last night at dinner. My favorite way to prepare it is quick, simple, and tasty. I did not get a photo of the finished product, just one of my last bunch...for now. Hope you enjoy!
1 bunch asparagus spears
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese (this measurement is not for the stuff that comes in a can)
1. Place the asparagus in a large Ziploc bag along with the olive oil and manipulate the bag until the spears are coated with oil.
(Note: to be sure you only use the tender part of the spear, grasp the bottom end in your hand and slowly bend the spear with your other hand until it snaps.)
2. Remove asparagus from bag and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Combine the garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle onto asparagus.
4. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on asparagus spears.
5. Bake in 400F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Leave a Reply.
I love to cook - my family loves to eat- we are a match made in heaven
Join me on facebook
Follow me on Twitter