Our final Block from Lisa Bongean came out today. I will certainly miss the way she has challenged me to step-up my quilting game with her blocks and alternate blocks. With my love of star blocks I was delighted to see this one was a star. You can find the pattern on Lisa's blog HERE.
I hope you are not to shocked to learn that I did not make any changes to Lisa's directions. I cut out everything according to the pattern she provided. Starch has been my friend with these blocks and I did starch everything before cutting. I did notice later that I missed the G squares but not to worry they will turn up at just the right time.
I began by putting the 9-patch block center together. I laid all of the pieces out and chain-pieced just like I normally do with 9-patch blocks.
I have been asked why I always start and end my sewing on little scraps of fabric. I call them leaders and enders. This way I can bring the pieces I am ready to sew right up to the needle (I always have it in the down position) and when I begin sewing I do not have any bunching or messy thread issues that can happen if you just start sewing without them, It was also pointed out ot me that it saves on thread as well since we do not end up with long tails that need to be trimmed. I had never considered that before-just appreciated not have long thread tails everywhere.
I pressed the rows in opposite directions: the top and bottom were pressed towards the B squares and the middle row was pressed towards the C square. Once I finish the rows I check to make sure the middle piece measures 1 inch across. Always happy to see that I am sewing an accurate 1/4 inch seam!
Next I sew the rows together to finish the 9-patch.
Notice that I have the first seam facing towards the needle as it approaches-this just helps puch the two seams that are nested there together so if all goes according to plan I will not need to pin them. And I am happy to say it all worked out. On larger blocks I still like to pin those seams together.
Just need to check that the 9-patch measures 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Sewing triangles is not my favorite thing-but these went together very nicely.
So as not to confuse myself I only joined 4 D and E triangles at a time. Making sure I have them oriented the correct way.
I like to start sewing these on the top of the square side rather than trying to start with the point.
Now I make the next four units with the other configuration.
There they are. I am not going to bother with trimming off those little triangle bits just yet.
Adding the F triangle will complete these Flying geese units.
To start I lay a unit 2b on top of the F triangle. For some reason I noted that seem to work from right to left-so that meant starting with #2b instead of #2a-it all works out no matter which way you put them together.
No way around starting with a pointed end this time so I jsut take my time as I go.
When I come to a seam that is facing the needle this way I often find that I need to lift and lower the presser foot to get it to feed nicely under the needle.
Ignore the pressing on this one-I decided it worked better to press towards the smaller tirangle just like I normally do. So after sewing the first side-press towards the smaller triangle unit and then place a #2a unit on top.
Starting to sew, with my unit right up to the needle to begin with
-it fits in the notch just perfectly.
Once these are sewn they also are pressed towards the smaller tirangle unit.
I still love my Bloc Loc rulers but tried out a new one I learned about from someone in Facebook Group. This one is by Creative Grids and the main benefit is that it can handle several sizes. For these blocks I am using the guidelines for the 1 1/2" x 3" size. This is the finished size-so the Flying Geese are being trimmed to 2" x 3 1/2"
Ah, there are those renegade G squares just in time to add them to the block.
As I join the units into rows I sew with the Flying Geese units on top so I can watch that my needle lands on the intersection of the "X" made by the previous stitching lines.
Perfect-just where I want that needle to be!
I pressed the top and bottom rows towards the G squares and the middle row towards the 9-patch center.
There is a little more to keep an eye on as I join these rows. This seam I did not pin-but the one at the bottom I did. Here too I have an intersection at the "X" of previous seams.
I took the advice of others and opened up the intersecting seams on the back so that my seams fall in opposite directions. I have not pressed the front yet-just want to show you how this is looking frmo the back.
One final seam and my Starry 9-Patch is done.
While there is only one block left to be released I still have some to catch up on. I have decided to continue doing just one a week as I have so many other projects that want my attention too. But eventually they will all be ready and I am glad that there are so many quilters still working on various stages of their own Moda Blockhead blocks that are keeping the Facebook group acitve and fun.
If you have not checked it out come and see for yourself by clicking on the following link!
Moda Blockheads Facebook Group
Until next week...
Please note: This BOM started June 2018-Blocks are released the first Monday of each month.
To get notifications of every new blog post:
This site includes affiliate links and ads from which Debra receives payment or compensation. Please consider this when you view this site. See my full FTC Disclosure here
Sitting at His Feet
This is a blog I write
during the week sharing my thoughts as I read
through my Bible.
Click the photo or link to visit.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies