Betsy Chutchian designed Block 26 and I had a lot of fun making it this week as I continue to play catch-up. You can read about Betsy's block on her blog and get the pfd pattern HERE.
I did change up the cutting directions a wee bit as I like to be able to trim the Half-square triangles (HST's) to size.
A-(cut 3) 2 1/4" x 2 1/4"
AB-(cut 3) 2 1/4" x 2 1/4"
B-(cut 6) 1 7/8" x 1 7/8" and cut them in half on the diagonal ( / )
C and D same as directed in pattern
I started with the A and AB squares. On the back of all of the A squares I drew a diagonal line. Place these right sides together with the AB squares.
Stitch 1/4 inch from each side of the diagonal line.
Cut on the line and press towards the dark side.
These HST's need to be trimmed to 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares.
Be sure to line up the diagonal line on the ruler with the seam line as you trim.
Next I add the B triangles to each side of the HST's as shown. Laying one triangle on top with right sides together, matching the corner edges as shown.
I chain piece all of these making sure that I am sewing on the correct side of the unit.
Press towards the triangle. I like to trim off the little extra bit before adding the triangle to the other side.
Just like before, I lay a triangle on top and chain piece the units. I pressed towards the triangle.
These pieced triangle units should now be the same size as the C triangles. I trimmed off the little extra point that extended out before proceeding. When sewing these together I placed the pieced unit on top so that I could watch my needle to make sure it went over the "X" the previous stitching formed. The center of the X will hopefully fall on my 1/4" seam line each time.
I pressed these towards the C triangle due to the bulky seams
and then trimmed to 2 1/2" squares-making sure the diagonal line on my ruler
lines up with the seam line on the unit.
Adding the remaining D squares I lay out my squares the way I want them for this block.
As I sew the rows together I am going to make sure once again
that my needle lands on the "X."
I pressed the top and bottom rows one direction and the center row in the opposite way. I am not totally happy with the bulkiness of some of those seams, but with a little convincing (if you have a rubber mallet you can hit them into submission if needed) they did eventually lay pretty flat.
I placed a pin where the seams join together and slowly sewed the rows together.
The finished block looks pretty good.
I just might need to put all of my blocks up on my design wall to enjoy them as a whole next time. I hope you are enjoying your quilting journey as much as I am.
Until next time...
To get notifications of every new blog post:
This site includes affiliate links and ads from which Debra receives payment or compensation. Please consider this when you view this site. See my full FTC Disclosure here
Sitting at His Feet
This is a blog I write
during the week sharing my thoughts as I read
through my Bible.
Click the photo or link to visit.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies