Block 2 looks like fun. This is Aunt Dinah designed by Betsy Chutchian
and you can find the pattern on her blog here:
All of my pieces have been cut and starched and I am ready to start sewing.
I usually try to avoid sewing triangles, but I am feeling brave so will follow the directions
and... gulp...cut my A squares on the diagonal.
Betsy directs us to sew two A triangles to a B square-okay then, a chain-piecing I will go.
One side is done. Just need to lay the second triangle in place and sew together.
Before pressing I trim off the little extra bits.
A word on pressing.
In the first photo I am "setting" the seam. Simply set the hot iron on top of the piece I have just sewn without opening up the piece. Since these triangles are sewn on the bias
I need to take care not to distort the seam by aggressively ironing.
Instead I gently press the triangle open in the second photo.
The C squares need to be cut into triangles too.
They will then be sewn to the units I just made. (My C triangles look a little more green here, oh well-they really are that cheery yellow.)
By sewing with the pieced unit on top I can watch that my needle goes right over the X made by the previous seams ensuring perfect points. At least when all goes as planned.
Those little bits will be trimmed off and then I check
to see if my unit measures 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
It is always exciting to start putting the block together on my design wall.
Here the units I just made are in place.
I lost the photos I took of Step 2 somewhere in my computer sadly.
I just followed Betsy's directions for sewing these units together
and here you can see them in place with the previous units and my cute little butterfly center.
Excitement mounts as I start to join the units together in rows.
I pressed the rows in opposite directions to better line up my seams later on.
Before proceeding I also checked to make sure that my middle squares
measured 2 inches across. Good-that means I am having success with
my scant quarter inch seam and everything will fit together nicely.
Time to pin the rows together after laying them out to check that I have them the way I want.
"Nesting" the seams. I place a pin at this point to ensure my seams stay locked together.
When I reach the pin I stop with my needle in the down position and pull out the pin before continuing. Since I use a fairly small stitch length I am always hitting pins if I leave them in. Broken needles and bent pins do not make me happy.
Just like in Block 1 I am nesting the seams to reduce that lump where they all come together.
I am very happy with how my Aunt Dinah came out. Here it is joined by Block 1.
Are you joining in on the fun?
All of the photos being shared on the Moda Blockheads Facebook group are really inspiring. It is like a virtual quilt guild; full of wonderful people from all over the world who have come together to share a common love of this artform. I am looking forward to several weeks of learning new things and being challenged to improve my skills with every block.
So, until next time...
To get notifications of every new blog post:
This site includes affiliate links and ads from which Debra receives payment or compensation. Please consider this when you view this site. See my full FTC Disclosure here
Sitting at His Feet
This is a blog I write
during the week sharing my thoughts as I read
through my Bible.
Click the photo or link to visit.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies